We are commissioning the official t-shirt design from the plant science community!
Create your completely original design, submit it by January 22, 2024, and the community will vote for the t-shirt design that will be featured on the official t-shirt of Plant Biology 2024!
The designer of the winning design will win one FREE registration to Plant Biology 2024 or Plant Biology 2025, taking place in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
There is no entry fee to submit a design. Anyone age 18 and older is welcome to submit a design. Only one (1) design submission per person is allowed.
- All designs must be original creations of the designer and incorporate all of the required design components outlined below. Submissions must not have been previously published and must not contain profanity, trademarks, other organizations’ logos, and/or any copyrighted works of any other person or entity.
- Design(s) must be submitted in .pdf/.jpg/.png format, via the #PlantBio2024 T-Shirt Design Contest Submission form by 11:59pm (ET) on Monday, Jan. 22, 2024.
- Designs may be created in either Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Canva, or other graphic design platforms. (**See “Required Design Components” for important guidance regarding the use of AI.)
- The designer of the chosen design must agree to sign a waiver allowing ASPB to use their design.
- The designer must agree to make slight changes/modifications if deemed necessary by ASPB or the t-shirt vendor for production. If the designer is not willing to make the requested modifications, an alternate design may be chosen to meet ASPB’s production deadlines and specifications.
- By submitting an entry, you are agreeing to the above guidelines and Society policies, including ASPB’s Code of Conduct. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Required Design Components
The selected design will be placed on the front of the official Plant Biology 2024 t-shirt.
- Theme: The design theme should align with the conference theme Celebrating Our Past through Science for Our Future
- Plant Biology 2024 and the American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) logos: Both logos may be used in the design. Download the Plant Biology 2024 logo here, and download the ASPB logo here. (When a logo pops up, right click and choose “Save Image As.”)
- Art Size: maximum 11″ x 12″; minimum 10” x 11”
- Colors: Design may use up to three (3) different colors total, including black or white. The following are the hex codes for the approved brand colors for the event if designers choose to use them: #003336, #fce888, #0f9762. NOTE: You are encouraged to test your design to ensure your design is viewable by those with color vision deficiency. This tool has been recommended.
- Typefaces/Font: Only these font families are to be used in the t-shirt design: Quincy, Interstate Condensed, Frutiger Condensed.
- Design Software: Designs must be created in either Adobe (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop), Canva, or other graphic design platforms. Designs created using t-shirt design websites like Bonfire, CafePress, and Zazzle will not be accepted. Customized templates, such as those available on design websites, will not be accepted. Graphics generated by AI tools will not be accepted due to copyright concerns and the original design criteria.
How the Winning Design will be Selected
Entries will be evaluated by members of the Plant Biology 2024 Program Committee and AND ASPB staff. All entries will be scored 1-5 (1 scoring lowest, 5 scoring highest) for how well they meet the following criteria:
- Clarity of concept and originality of design
- Visibility from a reasonable distance
- Adherence to design and submission guidelines
- Expression of the spirit of the event theme: Celebrating Our Past through Science for Our Future
The five highest-scoring designs from the Initial Evaluation will be shared on ASPB social media channels and sent out via email for a community vote. The design with the most votes from the community will be selected for this year’s official t-shirt design.
Publicity and Agreement: Contest entry constitutes an agreement by the submitting designers to grant free license of all copyrights of the submitted works to the American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) in perpetuity, for publicity and promotional purposes.
Media Release: By submitting artwork, you agree that if your design wins, The American Society of Plant Biologists (ASPB) retains first printing rights and a free license, in perpetuity, to utilize the design on t-shirts and other promotional items, and marketing, fundraising, and public relations materials. You are guaranteeing that your design does not contain any copyrighted material, including images and/or copy found on the internet, unless clearly marked as published under a Creative Commons (cc) license. Contest entrants who are not selected as the winning designer(s) retain all rights to their artwork.
Q. I would like to participate, but am not sure if I will be able to attend Plant Biology 2024 in person. Can I still submit a design?
A. This contest is open to anyone in the plant science community. While we would love to recognize you at the in-person event, we understand that not everyone is able to attend.
Q. How can I purchase a t-shirt of the final design?
A. You can purchase the t-shirt during registration to Plant Biology 2024! Due to shipping constraints, t-shirts are only available for purchase by those attending the in-person event. However, a colleague can get one for you!
Q, Can I use PowerPoint for my design?
A. As long as the output is jpg/png/pdf, absolutely!
Q. You mentioned only three colors can be used. Does that mean we can only use black, white and either yellow or green in our design?
A. You can use any three colors you like, and you do not have to use the event brand colors. The hex codes are provided to ensure color matching should you want to create a design in the spirit of the theme.
Q. Are you looking for a complete t-shirt design, including all graphics and logos on the front, back and side? Are you looking for a new logo design for the 100th anniversary?
A. ASPB is seeking a single design for the front of the t-shirt. The t-shirt back will include the ASPB logo in black or white. There will be no side/sleeve design. The design can be in any spirit you intend—in honor of ASPB’s centennial, in honor of the event location (Hawaii), or in celebration of the plant science community.